Trophy Mule Deer Hunts - 2014
The Wildlife, Fisheries & Parks Department over see’s the annual Trophy Mule Deer hunt, which started in the early 1990’s, it is for anyone willing to pay the fee, our success rate has been 80% to 90%, with an average spread of 28 inches. This year we will do a total of three hunts with 7 hunters in each hunt, each hunt will be five days. All hunters are required to have a Tribal Member or a Legally Married Spouse guide who is certified by this Department to guide, also one guide can guide two hunters during one hunt, this year the hunt dates are:
  • First Hunt: November 22 – 26, 2014.
  • Second Hunt: November 29 – December 3, 2014.
  • Third Hunt: December 6 – 10, 2014.
With every Trophy Hunt there is a Luncheon which all guides and hunter must attend, others that are invited are Members of the Tribal Council, Tribal Staff, and other Governmental Agencies. The Housing and the Wildlife Committee usually assists this Department with the food.

Trophy Hunt Prices

  • $2500 dollars for a Five day (one) Buck Only permit.
  • • $1,000 dollars for a Tribal Member or Legally Married Spouse guide for a five day hunt,this means even if you harvest a Buck the first or last day of the hunt you still have to pay the $1,000 dollar guide fee, all guides have to be certified by this Department.
  • $20 dollars a person is charge for the hunter to bring along a friend.
To hold a permit a deposit of half of the amount is required, the remainder needs to be paid within 60 days before the hunt or the permit will go to the next person on the waiting list, anyone may call and asked to be placed on the “Waiting List”.

Non-Tribal Member Indian Mule Deer Hunt
This Hunt is open to any member of any Federal Recognized Tribe the hunter when selected will need to send a copy of his Tribal enrollment card, or a Copy of his Certificate of Indian Blood(CIB). There are a total of 8 permits available with 2 set aside for any member of any of the Southern Paiute Nation, the hunt dates are:
November 1 – 5, 2014

Indian Hunt Prices
Call for information - (928)643-8305

A one half deposit is required for all the permits which will hold the permits, but if not paid in full before the 60 day before the hunt it will be given to the next person on the waiting list. Both the Big Game Hunt and the Indian hunts are so in demand that once you lose your spot it is hard to get on back on the list.

Tribal Member Hunt
The Tribal Member hunt is for all Tribal Members living on or off the Kaibab Paiute Reservation. There is no cost for these permits, but Tribal Members need to have a permit on them while hunting per the Hunting Ordinance, however there is a limits to how many permits a household can have which is 3 per household, per year, For example: if there are 3 Tribal Members living in one house, the 3 Tribal Members may each get a permit. Tribal Members that are unable to hunt may have a Certified Hunter, hunt for them. Also, any person who is legally married to a Tribal Member has the right to hunt for the household this can change only by a Tribal Council Order. This year the Tribal Hunt dates are:

  1. October 1 to November 16, 2014
  2. December 11 – 31, 2014 (Management Hunt – Restrictions in place call for information)

Other Hunts
Tribal Members can come in to the Wildlife, Fisheries & Parks Office and get a permit at No Cost to hunt any animal when in season this would be for Coyote Calling, Trapping, Rabbits, Cottontails, Small Game Birds and Mountain Lions.

Non-Tribal Member permits in order to apply for these permits the person needs submit a Written Proposal detailing what he/she wants to hunt, how, when and why. This proposal will come before the Wildlife Committee and if approved it will go on to the Tribal Council for final approval.

This Year we are asking all hunters to purchase and use Non Lead Bullets out of concern for the “CALIFORNIA CONDOR” which is in our area they can get Lead Poisoning by eating the guts of deer killed. Call this Department on Information on the “Gut Ply Raffle”

Coyote Hunts:

Coyote permits (trapping/calling) In order to apply for these permits, the person wanting a permit will need to submit a letter to the wildlife committee who can approve or disapprove the letter. If the letter is approved it will be submitted to tribal council for final approval.